Thursday, May 09, 2013

Onion Bombs aka Campfire Meatloaf

Once you have the meatloaf mixed up, and the onions cut and matched up (at campsite, or at home), you are ready to wrap! The size of each meatball is going to depend on the onions. So just use your judgement and roll up some meatballs. Squish them between two pieces of onion and voila! Some meat might push out the ends but it's fine because you will be wrapping them in foil. I tried to keep them as compact as possible, though. I had a few of every size when I was done. Big tomato size to small lime sized.
Then I wrapped them each in foil with a twist at the top. I used one layer of regular foil and one of heavy duty since I knew they would be thrown in the fire. Be careful not to rip or poke holes in the foil, especially the outer layer. Ash is not a good condiment.
We let them cook for about 10 minutes, flipped them around, and another 10 minutes (or so). I don't think leaving them a little longer would have done any harm, as the onion keeps the meat nice and juicy. AND yes for those that wanted to know you can make these in the oven as well just wrap them in foil and cook them at 350F time is 20-40 minutes depending on the size onions you use The onions keep them juicy so dont worry about over cooking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment